'I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out 'til sundown, for going out, I found was really going in.' John Muir

I've seen the top of Everest (from a long way off), smelled the breath of a whale (from way too close) and lived on a boat in Greece (for a few years), but I continue to experience some of my most precious moments right outside my backdoor.

If comments are proving difficult to do, please email me; sleepysparrow@yahoo.co.uk

Monday 7 April 2014

The Only Stork in the Village



Here he is, 'Storky White', he made a fantastic clicking-castanet sound with his beak each time he arrived back at his nest.  His Mrs hadn't joined him yet and after the coldest night we'd had in the van so far at minus 3 degrees C, I can't say as I blamed her!  We were parked in a designated campervan stop practically under his nest in the sleepy village of Chevannes sur l'Etang, Alsace, on our way to the Swiss border. Etangs are ponds and there are lots of them around the village with three way-marked routes to choose from. We picked one amongst watery woodlands and heard our first yellow-hammer singing 'a little bit of bread and no cheeeeeese.'  Storky White was hunkered down in his nest at 6.30pm, with only a bit of his tail visible and a blackbird sang his flutey song as we munched on crusty French bread and watched the sun sink behind a stand of willows.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is "random" and out of the blue. I am an old childhood friend of yours, who's been looking for you off and on over the years. I live in Concord, Massachusetts, USA. If you'd like to make contact to catch up (it's been nearly 40 years!), you could inbox me on Facebook. Janette Gray, Concord, MA. You will know me as Clements. You're a wonderful writer, I've enjoyed reading your blogs. Very best regards.

Sarah Lewis said...

Hi Janette! Did you live in Grant Road, Leasowe? I can't seem to find you on facebook, perhaps you could find me? I'd love to make contact. Sx

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Yes I did. I'll look for you. I'm on there as Janette Gray, living in Concord Massachusetts and I went to Oldershaw Senior Comp. Great to hear from you! X

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't find you either on FB. Hopefully you can find me x

Sarah Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Lewis said...

Still can't find you! Tried your name, where you live, school - but no luck. Is your photo on your profile? If you contact me again, I'll put my email address on this site. I don't want to leave it on incase any undesirables pester me! Try me as living in Rhydymwyn, Flintshire....good luck, hope we find each other! x

Anonymous said...

Found you! Request sent. Sorry for the delay, I've been in the UK then came home to move house! Looking forward receiving your acceptance.