'I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out 'til sundown, for going out, I found was really going in.' John Muir

I've seen the top of Everest (from a long way off), smelled the breath of a whale (from way too close) and lived on a boat in Greece (for a few years), but I continue to experience some of my most precious moments right outside my backdoor.

If comments are proving difficult to do, please email me; sleepysparrow@yahoo.co.uk

Sunday 3 February 2013

Midweek Treat


The wind is blowing hard, blue tits cling on to wildly swinging feeders, crows like black rubbish bags swirl through the grey sky.  It’s the perfect day for a full body Swedish massage. 

The health and beauty students at Deeside College practice their newly learned skills on us lucky locals for a fraction of the money we’d pay in a salon (£8 for full body massage).  The atmosphere is calming, the lighting soft and the students are very professional.

I’m wrapped in a warm blanket and with soothing music playing in the background, the massage begins.  I ask for firm pressure, my shoulders are in a mess from getting my garden ready for early potatoes.  Apart from turning over, I don’t move, I’m made of lead.

An hour later, I’m given a glass of water and left to get dressed in my own time.  Sally tells me to take it easy for the rest of the day, drink plenty of water and eat a light meal.
      ‘If you put a tennis ball in a sock and lean on it against a wall, rolling it over your back, it will help your tense shoulders,’ she advises.  Great idea. 
     I float down to reception and book another treatment, Hot Stones in two weeks time. (I've had this before, it's sublime).  I could've gone for reflexology, a facial, pedicure, manicure or Indian Head massage. Last week I had my haircut for £4.

What a treat and practically on my doorstep. Check out your local college to see what’s on offer,  you may be surprised!

Back at home, I follow Sally's advice and put my feet up.  I'm impressed watching a robin pull worms from my newly dug potato patch, I can hardly lift my mug of herbal tea.

1 comment:

The bike shed said...

Hot stones? I presume you lie on them, not eat them or insert them (urghh ???!!??)